Military & Veterans
JOIN OUR MILITARY-FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
We welcome military service members, veterans and their families. Here’s how to apply to MCTC and start building a better future.
Earn a degree, diploma or certificate on campus or online. We offer flexibility and support services to help you reach your goals while serving your country or after you’ve retired from active duty.
For assistance with military or veterans benefits please contact:
Veterans Affairs Case Manager/Certifying Official
Phone: 606-759-7141 Ext. 66191
How to Apply
The application process is quick and simple, and we’re here to help. Just follow these easy steps:
- Submit your application for admission.
If you are on active duty, a drilling reservist, or a member of the National Guard you may qualify for Federal or State Tuition Assistance (TA). Visit Veteran Services for more information.
Submit the KCTCS application if you’re not using Tuition Assistance.
- Apply for your GI Bill® Benefits. Visit U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to learn about the various GI Bill® Programs, which are best for you, and how to
- Submit your official transcripts from high school and any colleges you’ve attended.
- Request your Joint Services Transcript (JST) to the Registrar, Lori Gaunce, for evaluation. Air Force veterans and service members should request their transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). See Military Training Credit for more information about the how credit is awarded for military education and experience
using the ACE Military Guide.
- Submit your ACT or SAT scores. If you have not taken the ACT/SAT, don’t worry. MCTC has the KYOTE/TABE placement
test. Schedule a placement test at MCTC after you apply. *Starting Summer 2020 MCTC is permitted to place students in coursework based on their
official high school GPA. MCTC will still accept and enter test scores from high school
transcripts. Students may choose to take our free placement exams on campus if desired,
please call to schedule. If you earned a GED and chose not to take the MCTC placement
exams our advising staff will automatically place you in co-requisite general education
- Explore financial aid. Federal financial aid is available for members of all branches of the military. As
part of the application process, you must complete the FAFSA (MCTC School Code: 006960). We also offer scholarships, grants and loans to make a great education even more affordable.
- Schedule an appointment with your advisor to get a class schedule.
The VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility after you are approved to use your GI Bill®. As soon as you receive this, you can mail, fax, or hand-deliver a copy of this document to the MCTC School Certifying Official. You must also contact the SCO to certify your classes or you can complete the VA Benefits Certification form in order to receive your GI Bill® benefits. You will be required to do so any time you change your class schedule or prior to a new semester.
- Your classes will only be certified if they apply directly to your degree program.
- Your benefits will vary depending on the amount of hours you take. 12 credit hours are needed to receive full benefits during a normal 16-week semester. If you are unsure about the hours needed, contact your Veterans Services Coordinator.
- Tuition and fees not covered by the student’s military or veteran educational benefits are the responsibility of the student, and must be paid by the published payment deadlines.
- Visiting/Concurrently Enrolled Students: Provide the SCO with the “Parent Letter” from your primary school, meet with advisor, and complete the VA Benefits Certification form.
If you’re planning to enlist in the Army, you may be eligible for the Concurrent Admissions
Program (ConAP), a program designed to help you apply to college and access your benefits.
Be sure to select KCTCS as your home college when you enlist.
Questions? Contact us. We’re here for you, every step of the way.