Veterans Services | MCTC

Veterans Services

The mission of the MCTC Veterans Services Office is to assist you with your educational benefits as you make your way along the path to your degree.  We can help you with benefit forms and act as a liaison between you and the Veteran Affairs Regional Processing Office to answer questions and solve problems.  You should contact MCTC Veteran Services at least 60 days prior to your anticipated start date to allow for processing time by the MCTC Veterans Services Office and the Department of Veteran Affairs. 

Veterans Education Benefits

All students should visit GI Bill® Benefits for the most up-to-date information on the following education benefits.  Find out if you are eligible for the GI Bill® and related benefits, and learn how to apply online. 

The Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, find out if you qualify for the MGIB-AD program.

Find eligibility requirements and benefit information.

Note: You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB-AD benefits. This may change depending on your situation.

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program provides assistance to active duty service members and veterans with service-connected disabilities. This program's primary function is to help veterans who have service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or to achieve independence in daily living.

You may be eligible if you have a service-connected disability rating of at least 20 percent, and be discharged or released from military service under other than dishonorable conditions. For more information, please visit How to Apply.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) provides to eligible Service members and Veterans up to 36 months of education benefits. Your Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits may include financial support for school tuition and fees, books and supplies, and housing.

You may be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits if you (1) have at least 90 aggregate days of qualifying active service after September 10, 2001, or (2) were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving at least 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.

If you are in the Armed Forces, you may be eligible to your Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits to your spouse and children. Generally, you must use your Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits within 15 years from your last period of active duty service of at least 90 days.

The Dependent's Educational Assistance (DEA) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. Eligible dependents include a son, daughter, or spouse of a veteran who is deceased or has a service-connected disability.

The program offers 36 months of education benefits for those beginning school on or after August 1, 2018 (45 months for those that begin before August 1, 2018). Dependents generally have between the ages of 18-26 to use these benefits, and spouses have 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of your spouse.

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves is an educational assistance program enacted by Congress to attract high quality men and women into the reserve branch of the Armed Forces. Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

You may be eligible for MGIB-SR benefits if you have a 6-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve, complete your Initial Active Duty for Training, serve in a drilling unit and remain in good standing, and obtain a high school diploma or equivalency. The Guard and Reserves decide if you are eligible, while VA makes the payments for the program. Generally, your eligibility for MGIB-SR benefits end on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

While we are happy to assist you with your application for benefits, the MCTC Veterans Affairs office does not approve or deny benefits. To check on the status of an education benefit payment, call 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551). You can select the option for an automated update, or speak to a claims specialist. You can also visit Ask VA.

Verifying your enrollment for VA benefits Chapters 30, 1606, 1607

Use WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) to login and verify your enrollment the last day of each month.  Check out the WAVE User Guide if you need to register.

Transferring Benefits

VA education benefits can be transferred between institutions. You must complete form 22-1995 (Chapter 33 Post 9/11) or form 22-5495 (Chapter 35 DEA) to transfer benefits and should contact the School Certifying Official at the college you will be attending.

Tuition Assistance

If you are on active duty, a drilling reservist, or a member of the National Guard you may qualify for Federal or State Tuition Assistance (TA). Many of these programs are time-sensitive so the earlier you get things done, the smoother your benefits will go. Keep in mind that schools and other programs have their own deadlines as well.

Work with your respective branch of service if you plan to use Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA). Please use the following links for additional information.

  • All TA requests must be approved by your
    Education Service Officer (EOS). 
  • Education counseling can be obtained through your Virtual Ed Center.
  • Submit your TA application in a timely manner.
  • Submit authorization to Missy Stitt, Manager of Business Operations,, 606-759-7141, Ext. 66158. 
  • Please refer to the Air Force Tuition Assistance Program for further information regarding the proper steps and eligibility to use your TA.
  • Submit TA request through ArmyIgnitED
  • Submit authorization/voucher to Missy Stitt, Manager of Business Operations,, 606-759-7141, Ext. 66158.
  • Contact your Education Service Officer (ESO) on which TA application to use from the CG Portal.
  • Once approval is received from your ESO, submit all supporting school documentation if requested.
    CG Institute or CG ETQC will process your application and send you your authorization.
  • Submit authorization/voucher to Missy Stitt, Manager of Business Operations,, 606-759-7141, Ext. 66158.
  • Please refer to the United States Coast Guard for further information regarding the proper steps and eligibility to use your TA.
  • Contact your Marine Corps Voluntary Education Center to receive educational counseling either in person or by phone. With your academic advisor, determine which courses will be requested for TA funding.
  • To apply for Tuition Assistance electronically from any computer, complete a TA Application in WebTA listing course(s). Check with your institution to make sure the tuition amounts you listed are correct. Fees cannot be paid using TA funds.
  • Start your application 60 days in advance of the term start date. You can submit your TA even before finishing your enrollment in the course at your school.
  • Submit authorization/voucher to Missy Stitt, Manager of Business Operations,, 606-759-7141, Ext. 66158.

  • Tuition Assistance is available by inquiring at your unit to obtain the necessary application materials.
  • Deadlines are April 1st for Summer and Fall semesters and October 1st for spring semester.
  • The National Guard Center will load and distribute this information for ALL institutions in the state; the MCTC Business Office will apply it to your student account.
  • Changes in location of educational training cannot be made with your MCTC Veterans Services Coordinator/SCO; the Guards MUST contact Boone National Guard Center at (502-607-1307). The National Guard Center will load and distribute this information for ALL institutions in the state to be updated.
    Students who receive National Guard Tuition Assistance may also receive VA benefits; however, your National Guard Tuition Assistance is subtracted before Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® tuition payments are processed.

Kentucky Tuition Waiver Program

A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers. Complete the online application, call (502) 564-9203 or email for additional information. Submit approved tuition waivers to Lori Gaunce, Registrar, MCTC - Licking Valley Campus,

Contact Us

Craig Pleasant, VA Representative
(606) 326-2275
Office Hours: By appointment only.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.