Disability Support Services | MCTC

Disability Support Services

Maysville Community and Technical College offers services for students with disabilities through our Disability Support Services (DSS) Coordinators. DSS goals are to ensure equal access and full participation for persons with disabilities in post-secondary education as outlined by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

The process of receiving services through DSS involves a few simple steps:

  1. apply to MCTC and register for classes
  2. meet with Disability Services Coordinator to discuss individual needs and concerns
  3. complete the Disability Services Student Profile
  4. provide appropriate documentation of a disability

All accommodations provided by DSS are based upon each students individual disability and current needs. All accommodations will be determined after a review of the official documentation of the disability and a one-on-one consultation between the student and DSS coordinator. Accommodations are not retroactive.

If you wish to apply for disability services, please contact a disability coordinator:

Teresa Conway
(606) 759-7141 ext. 66319


Any student who has a disability that substantially limits one or more major life activity is eligible for services. 

It is important to note that K-12 and postsecondary institutions have different mission under the ADA/IDEA: 

  • K-12 is obligated to insure student access and success (graduation)
  • Postsecondary institutions are required to ensure equal access.

Consequently, accommodations offered by K-12 could differ significantly from those offered in college.  In some cases, K-12 accommodations are unavailable in college.

Documentation is the paperwork that provides Disability Services with the information necessary to show that you have a disability. The documentation should provide details regarding how your disability limits your ability to function in an academic setting. A person’s disability is diagnosed by a professional qualified to make the diagnosis. Documentation should be current. See Documentation Guidelines for more clarification.

MCTC determines accommodations on a case-by-case basis. We build those accommodations based on what you tell us and the functional limitations that your professional described in your documentation.

Follow the steps listed above, and remember that you have certain responsibilities as part of the process. You must self-identify as an individual with a disability to receive accommodations from the Disability Services Office. Each semester you must initiate contact with our office to complete your request for each class.

Not usually. All students must meet the essential academic and technical requirements (be otherwise qualified) to enter a program and maintain them to remain in that program. Students must show mastery of course material to earn college credit. Classroom behavioral standards must be met. 

Contact Disability Services immediately! Complying with anti-discrimination laws is a college-wide responsibility. All employees of the college are required to comply. Disability Services will talk with the professor. Perhaps the professor simply forgot about the accommodation. Also, if the professor believes an accommodation changes an essential requirement, talking with Disability Services and the student may reveal other accommodations that might work as well. Providing accommodations while maintaining the academic integrity of courses is a team effort. 
Contact Disability Services immediately! It is up to the students to let Disability Services know when an accommodation is not working as planned. Remember, too, that accommodations do not guarantee success in a course, just access. 

No. Students are responsible for arranging and providing these services. This includes, but is not limited to, medical equipment, personal care attendants or specialized tutors. However, there are situations when Disability Services may provide an in-class academic assistant. 

Please note that there is no medical facility on campus. If you have a personal attendant that will need to accompany you to class, prior notification must be made before any non-student can attend a course. Faculty will be notified of the non-student's defined role.


No. Temporary conditions, such as sprained ankles, broken bones can be challenging and inconvenient. However, federal disability law such as Americans with Disabilities Act of 1980 amended in 2008, does not recognize these and other short term medical conditions as eligible to be considered for ADA protection or disability related accommodations. Despite this, we highly encourage MCTC faculty and staff to assist, in good faith, with non ADA environmental adjustments and to help facilitate the student’s inclusion on campus on a temporary basis, as space and resources allow. For further clarification please contact the college Title IX Officer or DSS Coordinator. 


Click here to see the Rights and Responsibilities of College Students with Learning Disabilities (LD)


If you have a diagnosed disability and need accommodations, each college in the KCTCS System has specialized services to help you with your specific situations. Contact the Accessibility/Disability Services Office at your home college for accommodations specific to your needs.


If using assistive technologies, you may need help with some of the applications used within your courses. Keep this Student Accessibility Resource Guide (PDF) handy.