Records FAQs | MCTC

Records FAQs

graphic image reading GO 2 COLLEGE
Graduation Information
Transcript Request
Records Forms
Drop or Withdraw Class(es)
Records Contacts
Proof of Enrollment


As a student at Maysville Community & Technical College you will have many questions throughout your time with us. You can find many answers on this website, our KCTCS website, or our KCTCS catalog. If you are visiting on campus, please feel free to stop by any of our Student Records office at any of our four campuses.

Below you will find a list of some of the most frequent questions that we get in the Registrar's Office to assist you in finding answers to some of the more common questions. To view the answers, you can click on each question to open the panel to expand the section.

If you have questions that are not listed below feel free to give us a call at our Go KCTCS Student Service Center at 1-844-528-3782 at any time with questions, available 24/7/365.

You can find the current catalog as well as previous catalogs on the KCTCS Catalog page!
You can only receive your grade through Student Self Service in Peoplesoft.
You can log into your Student Self-Service to change your program. Go to Change My Major.

You can use the National Student Clearinghouse feature in your Student Service Center to print enrollment verification. These will have the "tree of knowledge" watermark and official enrollment status. 

For verification for automobile or health insurance purposes, you should obtain the proper forms from your insurance companies and take them to the Student Records Office for completion. During peak times, there may be a delay in processing.

If you wish to change your name, you can stop by the Student Records Office and a staff member will be happy to assist you. You will need to bring with you the following items: drivers license, Student ID card, and social security card listing the updated name. If you are not on campus, you can go to the Records Forms page and print a form called Records Change Form. 

If you need to change your address, you can do that at your convenience on through your Student Service Center in Peoplesoft.

The Student Records Office has three main offices located at the Maysville, Licking Valley Campus, and Rowan. These are the offices that offer full services. The Montgomery Campus has limited services but a staff member is available to answer questions and provide direction.

  • Licking Valley Campus Administrative Suite, L203-D
  • Maysville Campus Office of Enrollment & Student Services, T-101
  • Montgomery Campus - Please see the campus Administrative Assistant.
  • Rowan Campus Administrative Suite, C-100C

The GPA on the KCTCS transcript is derived from all courses taken at KCTCS institutions. The grade-point average is the ratio of the total grade points earned to the total credit hours attempted excluding courses taken on a pass/fail basis and courses with grades of W or I. Total grade points are derived by multiplying the number of credit hours for the course by the number of grade points assigned to the grade earned: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, E=0.

Grade I means that part of your coursework remains unfinished. It shall be given only when there is a reasonable possibility that a passing grade will result from completion of the work. The instructor shall not give an I when the reason for incompleteness is unsatisfactory.

You and your instructor will discuss the requirements for completion of course with the time limit for completion not to exceed a maximum of one year. Failure to do so will result in a change of grade from I to an E.

We will maintain a record of incomplete grades recorded in courses of that college. This record, completed by the instructor at the time the I grade is reported, shall include: (1) the name and number of the student, (2) the course number and hours of credit, (3) semester or session and year of enrollment, (4) signature of the instructor, (5) a brief statement of the reason(s) for recording the incomplete grade, and (6) an adequate guide for removal of the incomplete grade. In the instructor's absence, the division chairperson or the designee, shall forward to the president/director (or designee) the appropriate letter grade to replace the incomplete grade.

Your grades are available through Student Self Service or in the mail (by request only) at the end of each semester session. Any grade discrepancy noted must be reported to the Student Records Office no later than ten calendar days after the start of the next semester.

Student academic records are stored electronically at the Maysville Campus and are maintained by the Registrar of Maysville Community and Technical College. Some duplicates of records are maintained at the Kentucky Community and Technical College System Office in Versailles, KY. An academic record may consist of the following:

  1. Academic records from schools previously attended
  2. Scores or results on various standardized tests and interests/aptitude inventories
  3. Degree awarded
  4. Current academic work completed
  5. Applications for admission
  6. Data relating to financial aid
  7. Letters of recommendation
  8. Attendance data
  9. Biographical and identifying information (including name, Social Security number, sex, marital status, date of birth, residency and citizenship status, ethnic background, academic major, and military status)
  10. Medical data
  11. Current status
  12. Accounts relating to fees
  13. Academic offenses
  14. Disciplinary offenses
  15. Counseling records

In general, the records maintained by MCTC are available only to the student and KCTCS personnel with legitimate educational interest. Students may inspect and review all records pertaining to themselves within 45 days of making requests, except for (1) records created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting or assisting in a professional capacity in connection with treatment of the student, (2) financial records of the students parents, (3) confidential letters and recommendations relating to admission, applications for employment, or honors, (4) confidential letters and recommendations put in the files prior to January 1, 1975. Written requests to review an academic record are to be made to the Registrar of Maysville Community and Technical College.

A student who believes that any record maintained by the college pertaining directly to that student is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise violates the right to privacy of the student as provided by Title IV of Pub.90-247, as amended, and Pub.L.93-380 as amended by Senate Joint Resolution 40 (1974), may request a hearing before a panel of three persons appointed by the President of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. The panel may direct that appropriate action be taken to correct, explain, or expunge the record(s) challenged.

Requests for hearing should be sent to the Kentucky Community and Technical College System and will be addressed in a timely manner.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that protects the privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable information contained within student education records. Colleges in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System comply with FERPA's confidentiality protections and adhere to procedures dealing with student education records and directory information recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.

In its discretion, a college or KCTCS as appropriate may provide Directory Information in accordance with the provisions of the Act [Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974] to include:

  • student name
  • address
  • email address
  • telephone number
  • date and place of birth
  • major field of study
  • dates of attendance
  • degrees and awards received
  • the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student
  • participation in officially recognized activities and sports

Privacy and Release of Student Records

Students may withhold directory information by notifying designated officials at the college in writing within ten (10) calendar days from the first scheduled day of class of the fall term. All written requests for non-disclosure will be honored by the college for one (1) academic year. Requests to withhold Directory Information must be filed annually thereafter. A request for non-disclosure is commonly called a privacy request.

Learn more about FERPA on the KCTCS website.

Directory Disclosure

MCTC may also disclose, without consent, directory-type information such as student name, address, email address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors, awards, and dates of attendance. Students may ask for a copy of MCTC written FERPA policy, ask to see their records, or request that MCTC not disclose directory information by contacting the Student Development Office.

The Registrars Office is responsible for maintaining and ensuring the security of academic records. In the event of an accidental release of student information, the Registrar will immediately contact the student by e-mail, certified mail and telephone. In addition, the student will be informed of their right to file a complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-5901.