What is a Medical Laboratory Technician?
As a medical laboratory technician you will work under the supervision of a registered clinical scientist or pathologist. Medical laboratory technicians collect specimens from patients and perform laboratory tests; laboratory results currently contribute 70-80% of the diagnostic information used by healthcare providers for diagnosis and treatment of disease. You will be trained in both the theory and practice of clinical laboratory procedures and learn to collect specimens from patients and perform laboratory testing in all areas of the clinical laboratory, including immunohematology, chemistry, microbiology, serology, hematology and urinalysis.
What are my career choices?
Medical laboratory technicians can work in a variety of settings including: hospitals, physicians offices, clinical laboratories, industry, research, public health laboratories, and forensic and pharmaceutical laboratories.
Unique Requirements for Admission
Acceptance into the Associate Degree Medical Laboratory Technician program is based on a selective admissions process. Requirements include:
- application for admission to college;
- official transcript from each college or university previously attended;
- official high school transcript verifying graduation or official passing GED scores;
- attendance at one Pre-Admission Conference per admission cycle;
- successful completion of math, science and course pre-requisites with a grade of "C" or higher;
- GPA of 2.00 or better in all college coursework (not just one class);
- Red Cross or American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Level CPR certification (online certification not acceptable);
- all college and program admission requirements on file by May 1st of each year for consideration of admission in the fall semester;
- documentation of computer literacy as defined by KCTCS.
Attendance at one preadmission conference (per admission cycle) is MANDATORY in order to be considered for admission to the Medical Laboratory Technician Program beginning August 2021. Deadline for applications is May 1st.
Please email coordinator Michelle Thoroughman, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information if the deadline has passed.
Any student interested in entering the Medical Laboratory Technician Program at MCTC is REQUIRED to watch this pre-admission conference video prior to submitting their application. It has lots of great information to get you on your way to a great career in the clinical laboratory.
Download and return the completed Admissions Signature Forms below. The Admissions Info Packet is informational documents for you to keep. You must return your Admissions Signature Forms via mail, fax or email scan to : Michelle Thoroughman, MLT Coordinator, 1755 US HWY 68, Maysville, KY 41056; Fax (606) 759-7176; email@example.com by May 1st.
The Medical Laboratory Technician Program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018-5119
Program Statistics 2018-2020:
- Graduate Certification Pass Rate (within 1 year): 63%
- Job Placement Rate (within 1 year): 89%
- Graduation Rate (based upon 3rd semester): 90%