What is Culinary Art?
Future chefs in this program have their eyes opened to the creative and delectable world of culinary arts. Culinary Arts program students are exposed to all aspects of proper cooking, food preparation, and kitchen management, to advanced techniques required to work in the world s finest dining establishments, these students master a wide array of skillsets. Cooking activities include the preparation and cooking of cuisines from around the world, as well as specialized techniques in creating food art and presentation. As part of all high-quality culinary program, students must master sanitation practices; properly use of cooking tools and equipment; and safe management of raw materials, ingredients, production processes, quality control processes, and supply costs analysis.
What are my career choices?
The Culinary Arts program is designed to prepare you for careers in the culinary arts, food and beverage management, restaurant management, catering, institutional food service, and as professional chefs.
What are my degree, diploma or certificate options?
Degrees and Transfers
- AAS - Catering & Personal Chef Option: 62-67 credit hours
- AAS - Culinary Arts Option: 60-65 credit hours
- AAS - Food & Beverage Management Option: 61-66 credit hours
- Diploma - Catering & Personal Chef Option: 50-55 credit hours
- Diploma - Culinary Arts Option: 48-53 credit hours
- Diploma - Food & Beverage Management Option 49-54 credit hours
- Certificate - Baking Option: 12 credit hours
- Certificate - Advanced Catering Option: 42-44 credit hours
- Certificate - Advanced Culinary Arts Option: 44-47 credit hours
- Certificate - Advanced Food & Beverage Management Option: 43-45 credit hours
- Certificate - Catering Option: 16 credit hours
- Certificate - Culinary Arts Option: 32-36 credit hours
- Certificate - Food & Beverage Management Option: 31-34 credit hours
- Certificate - Fundamentals of Culinary Arts Option: 16 credit hours
For class listings, please refer to the Class Schedule.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.
Culinary Program Grads On The Move
“MCTC is a place of positive energy that motivated me to achieve a college degree
and the career I had dreamed about since childhood.”
John Abner, 2019 Graduate - Culinary Arts