4. Use Journals
Magazines, journals,and newspaper articles will give current information because they are published more quickly than books and contain more current information.
The best source for locating current articles are the online journal or magazine databases.
Articles can be found by using keywords or phrases.
Note: If you are working on this tutorial at home or off-campus, to access these databases you must have a current KCTCS username and password. If you have trouble accessing, please see the instruction page.
ProQuest contains current periodicals and newspapers,with daily updates and full-text articles.
EBSCOhost Kentucky Virtual Library databases include Academic Search Premier, CINAHL with Full Text, ERIC, Medlin, Newspaper Source, Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection, PSYCHInfo, and Teacher Reference Center, among others.
Gale CengageLearning databases cross searches the Academic OneFile, Health Reference Academic and Wellness Centers, and the Expanded Academic ASAP. And, also through Gale CENGAGE Learning:
Health Reference Academic provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals.
Opposing Viewpoints provides access to viewpoint articles, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text articles.
Literature Resource Center provides access to biographies and critical analysis of American and world authors.
Academic OneFileis a peer-reviewed, full-text article database with extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects.
History Resource Center: U.S. provides access to primary documents, articles from more than 30 reference titles, and over 110 full-text journal covering themes, events, individuals and periods in U.S. history from pre-Colonial times to the present.
Small Business Resource Center can show you how to start, finance or manage your small business. Resources include sample business plans, how to guides, articles and websites.
Newspapersarticles are also excellent sources for current information.
- Newsbank electronic editions of local, state, and national newspapers.
- New York Times Online is automatically available when searching in ProQuest and covers national as well as international news and current topics of interests.
- New York Times Historical Newspaper covers 1851 -2005 and is available in the ProQuest database.
- Atlanta Constitution Historical Newspaper covers national news from1868-1939.
Tips to Search By
Use AND, OR, and NOT to specify the relationship between search terms.
- AND -- specifies that both terms statute AND frauds must appear in the same search results
- OR -- specifies that either or both planning OR forecast terms appear in the same search results
- NOT -- specifies that the first term but not the second appears in the same search results with sociology NOT marxist
Truncation is represented by an asterisk (*). To use truncation, enter the root of a search term and replace the ending with an *,tofind all forms of that word.
For example, type comput* to find the words computer or computing.