Types of Aid

Listed below are the various types of scholarships and financial aid assistance available to students who may qualify.

  • Pell Grant - The Pell Grant is a federally funded program based on demonstrated need and number of credit hours a student is enrolled for each semester. All students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal need based grants.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) - A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federally funded award for undergraduates with exceptional financial need.
  • Work-Study- The Federal College Work-Study Program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. To apply go to link below>>create an account>>save>>Search jobs>>Maysville Federal Work Study>>apply for position>>Student applications for employment>>Start>> Submit. Apply here.
  • College Access Program (CAP) - The CAP Grant is awarded to Kentucky residents enrolled for at least six semester hours (half-time) and enrolled in a 2-year program. To qualify for a CAP Grant, students must apply early. The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) will contact you about possible eligibility.
  • Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES)- Since 1998, Kentucky high school students have had a great opportunity to make their education pay with the Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES). Those who study hard and make good grades (C+ and above) can earn scholarships for college. Students can obtain more information on both the CAP Grant and the KEES Scholarship by visiting the KHEAA website.
  • Direct Loans - Loans are available for students who qualify to help cover the cost of college expenses. To be considered for a loan, students must first complete the FAFSA form, be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours), and demonstrate financial need. Repayment of the loan begins six months after you graduate, leave college, or fall below half-time. Entrance and exit loan counseling is available.
  • KCTCS Presidential Scholarship. The Presidential Scholarship goes to students in each of the Kentucky Community Technical and College System (KCTCS) schools who have outstanding academic performance and unmet financial need. For more information or to apply, contact us.
  • KCTCS John T. Smith Scholarship. This fund supports minority students at KCTCS who maintain a 2.5 GPA, plan to attend a four-year institution and have unmet financial need. For more information or to apply, contact us.
  • KCTCS Commonwealth Scholarship . Kentucky residents who are valedictorians, salutatorians, or members of the upper 10 percent of their high school graduating class are eligible for this award.
  • Other Scholarships - Maysville Community and Technical College awards a number of scholarships plus some from a variety of sources including area civic organizations (Homemakers, Lions Club, DeKalb Lodge, Rotary Club, etc.). Some area banks, businesses and industries also fund full or partial tuition scholarships for their employees and families of employees. Students are encouraged to contact these organizations directly for information. To receive full consideration, complete the FAFSA and the general scholarship application by April 1st. Some other scholarships/waivers to consider are below.
  • Kentucky Residents Age 65 and Over
  • Survivors of Police Officers & Firefighters Killed On Duty
  • Dependents of Disabled Police Officers & Firefighters
  • Teachers
  • Foster & Adopted Children
  • Veterans
  • Dependent Children of Veterans Killed In Action

How do student loans work?

The Federal Direct Loan Program lends money to students attending on at least a half-time (6 credit hours) basis. Two types of loans are available:

  1. Subsidized Direct Loan, which is based on financial need. The government will pay a portion of the interest you accumulate on this loan, and you repay the balance.
  2. Unsubsidized Direct Loan, which does not require students to demonstrate financial need. Students must repay this loan in its entirety, including interest.


When should I apply?

To receive priority consideration, you should apply as early as possible. The application is available beginning January 1st each year.