Important Terms to Know


FAFSA Free Application for Federal Student Aid

This is the application you use to apply for financial aid.

EFC - Estimated Family Contribution

Your eligibility for financial aid is determined by the EFC printed on the SAR.

SAR Student Aid Report

Your SAR is the report produced after you file the FAFSA. Maintain this for your records, you may need to submit it along with a scholarship application.

SAP Satisfactory Academic Progress

You are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress to retain your financial aid eligibility. To be in good standing for financial aid, you must successfully complete 67% of all hours attempted, and maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade point average. If you do not have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher, or if you have not successfully completed 67% of the classes you've attempted you will be placed on financial aid Warning after one semester, and if your GPA and completion rate do not rise above the standard,you will lose your financial aid eligibility. Standards of progress will be checked at the end of each term. View the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.


A percentage of students are randomly selected each year by the Department of Education to go through a processed called verification. This requires the financial aid office to check the information you reported on your financial aid application, by requesting a copy of the tax returns filed by you, your spouse, and/or your parent(s). This is required by the U.S. Department of Education. We have to verify eligibility set forth by federal regulations.

Your Student Aid Report (SAR) will indicate if you have been selected for verification. An asterisk (*) will be printed next to your EFC on the Student Aid Report to identify that you have been selected for verification.

COA Cost of Attendance

Total price of tuition, fees, room, board, textbooks, supplies, transportation, and personal expenses for one year of college.

VA - Veterans Affairs

Maysville Community and Technical College works with students to make sure they receive all benefits they are entitled to receive for their military service. To see if you are eligible for VA education benefits contact SteveCrail on the Rowan Campus, Sandy Power on the Licking Valley Campus.